Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Making Time to Read

TylerBook


Reading and writing have been my strong suit my whole life. Growing up, I remember sometimes staying up late into the night just to finish a book. And even into adulthood, I still have a love for reading, even though, I often go through periods where I hardly pick up a book for months. 

Luckily, one thing I managed to pass on to my children is my love for reading as well. I honestly believe Mackenzie loves reading more than I ever did, which says a lot. And not a day goes by that Phoenix, Tyler, and Elijah don't grab a handful of books off of our bookshelf just to spend some time reading. 

Lately, I have been making an effort to turn off and put down technology and pick up a book instead (unless I am actually reading a book on the iPad). I have finally read some books that had been sitting, and even dove into some that I had not planned or heard anything about beforehand. 


Here is a list of books I have read recently and definitely recommend: 



I have also been making time to read with my children as well. We have been including Bible Study a few nights a week and we are even starting a few of the classics that we have had on our shelf but haven't read yet. We just started reading Grimm's Fairy Tales, a book we received from my dad several Christmases ago. It was wrapped in plastic, and if I am being totally honest, we only just recently tore the plastic off. It's quite a beautiful book, each page edged in gold and a ribbon bookmark.


Books


As part of our Summer Bucket List, I hope finish this book and include at least one other book... perhaps Gulliver's Travels.

It's no joke when I say that I have a pretty rowdy bunch of children. My younger three are always on the go from the moment they wake up at 5:00 am (Yes, 5:00 EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.). They literally try to squeeze in every minute of their day with on the go activities. Some days I drop long before they do. However, sitting down to read a book with them, calms them down every time. The conversations we have with our children while reading with them have always been some of the best. 


What are some of your favorite books to read, or that you would love to read, with your children?


Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | Bloglovin' | Email


Be sure to visit this month's featured sponsor.
Related Posts with Thumbnails